Tips for Making Pan-Seared SEA Scallops (use Dry/chem-free scallops)
*(1 Pound of Scallops will make APPETIZERS for 4 people or a Main Dish for 2 people)
- THAW scallops if using frozen scallops and dry thoroughly.
- Tip: Do not use a non-stick pan if you want a nice brown crust. Use a large metal or cast-iron skillet.
- Dry the scallops thoroughly. Line a plate or baking sheet with paper towels. Place each Scallop on the paper towels, place another paper towel on top and press lightly to remove as much liquid as possible. Don’t season with salt until ready to cook as it will draw out moisture from the scallop and leave them wet again.
- Use a high smoke-point oil like Avocado Oil or a mixture of ½ Avocado Oil and ½ butter.
- Don’t crowd the scallops. Leave about ½ inch between scallops when cooking.
- (DON’T TOUCH) Don’t move the scallops around or flip them back and forth. Let the scallops brown slightly on one side, about 3 minutes, flip and let the other side brown slightly for another 3 -4 minutes. (Scallops are done when they are opaque)
- Remove the scallops from the skillet to a plate and serve immediately or make a Lemon-Herb Sauce to put on top of the scallops before serving. (see recipe below)
Lemon Herb Sauce for Scallops (made right after searing the scallops)
- 2 tablespoons salted butter
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh herbs
(Choose 1: tarragon, thyme, or parsley)
- Remove the scallops from the skillet to a plate and reduce the heat to medium. Add the butter, lemon juice, minced garlic and chopped herbs. Scrape the bottom of the pan with a spatula to release flavor from any browned bits stuck to the pan. Cook 1 minute until fragrant.
- Reduce the heat to low. Add the scallops and cover them with sauce. Then remove from the heat and serve immediately.